Saturday 17 November 2012

£ood Waste Challenge

Today marks the first day of the Recycle for London, £ood Waste Challenge, which I am taking part in.
The £ood Waste Challenge is a two-week challenge getting Londoners to see how much food they throw away in week 1 and then giving them tips on how to reduce it in week 2. The challenge is to reduce their food waste by the greatest amount over a one week period.

For the next week I'll be monitoring what food waste I generate (much like the Love Food Hate Waste week) and the following week, I've got to try and do better!

This time though, there are more strict rules to follow in terms of what to measure:
  • Don't include the stuff that you would never eat. For example: meat and fish bones, egg shells, banana skins, orange peel, tea leaves, tea bags, coffee grinds and pineapple peel.
  • Do include everything else. For example: apple peel, potato peel, bread crusts, fish skin etc.
  • I'm also going to try and include the reasons that I had food waste, or not, as the case may be.
Unfortunately Greenwich Council don't provide me with a food waste collection bin, so everything I generate has to go to in the "black bag" which then presumably goes to landfill or maybe it goes to the SELCHP, which is a better option.

My previous caveats remain as I still think I'm an atypical test specimen when it comes to reducing food waste.

Anyway on to today's results:

Breakfast (actually a brunch as it's a Saturday)

No food waste as I had bubble and squeak using up the leftovers from Wednesday's feast accompanied by a fried egg. (The egg shell doesn't count here.)

Lunch (more like threeses after a big brunch)

No food waste as I had a couple of slices of toast made with bread from the freezer and a slice of the Gâteau Opéra from Wednesday

Dinner

No food waste as I simply had a frozen pizza.

Grand Food Waste Total:

Zero

Looks like I'm off to a good start!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails