Ah, the weekend. Time-a-plenty to tinker in the kitchen. I tend to just graze throughout the days on Saturday and Sunday, only really having a proper meal at dinner time.
Since I got up I've had some muesli, toast, scrambled egg on toast with the remainder of the smoky sausage from Tuesday and a small bar of chocolate. Dinner is a frozen pizza. (Yeah, OK, I know. That's my guilty pleasure. Deal with it. I love pizza, no matter what form it takes: be it artisanal or mass-market.)
Waste for the day:
- Egg shells - unavoidable
- None; that's three days on the trot!
What have I learnt after a week of actively thinking about reducing my food waste? Well, I already do most of the Love Food Hate Waste advised things to minimise my food waste, so it would seem there's not much more for me to do better.
- My freezer is my best friend. I'd be lost without it.
- I portion pretty much everything. As well as reducing waste it also means I actually have some way of eating a reasonable amount of food instead of just stuffing my face.
- I love leftovers and weekend lunches (using anything up) in particular are great meals every time.
- I plan my meals for the week. I pretty much now where I'm gonna be and when I'll be eating at home or out. I make s hopping list and then stick to it.
The thing that has stuck me is that the amount of food-related packaging I throw away is far greater than any food waste I generate. That's quite frustrating but I'm not entirely sure there's anything I can do about it.
I'll carry on for another week and see if there's anything more I can learn.