Thursday 15 October 2009

ICCHFC - Week 9: Malteaser cake

Malteaser cake

Week 9 was upon us and the first cake from Sara on the blog. Of her options the Malteaser Cake was by a long way my favoured option. In comparison to the fresh apple cake and the carrot, it was a no brainer: novel and clearly the un-healthiest.

I was expecting a malty cake with chocolate icing/filling. (I might have a go at this in the future. Although I've no idea what I'll do with the rest of the Ovaltine!) However, the chocolate cake with chocolate and malteaser filling was not a disappointment.

Sara must also get extra kudos for the way in which she handled her first, disappointing attempt. Rather than serve up sub-standard cake she bit the bullet and apologised to the group with her first email of the day:

Subject: Fellow cakers....
Importance: High

Last night I had a cake disaster, which resulted in a hard cake!!!!!! I was unable to make another and did not want to disappoint you all with a rubbish cake so today I am cake-less!

I will however make a cake, which I will bring in on Wednesday. It will still be Malteaser cake (although I will not be using the same recipe!)

I can only apologies for my failure to provide cake on this fine Monday morning and hope that I will still remain a valued member of the club.

Yours apologetically,
Sara


Then she made another cake on Monday night, ready for Tuesday. That's the sort of cake commitment to be proud of.


Sara's Malteaser Cake

Ingredients:
7oz plain flour
1 oz cocoa
8oz butter, softened
8oz caster sugar
3 eggs
1.5tsp baking powder
Filling:
250g mascapone
Cocoa to taste
Icing sugar to taste
Malteasers (as many as you like!)

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C
2. Cream the butter and sugar until pale.
3. Beat in the eggs, alternating with a touch of flour to stop the mix splitting.
4. Sieve in the flour, cocoa and baking powder. Fold until incorporated.
5. Pour the mix into a lined 8" round cake tin and bake for approximately 25 minutes or until done (i.e. when the cake is moving away from the sides of the tin, the top springs back at a touch or a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean).
6. Whilst the cake is baking make the filling by beating the mascapone, cocoa and sugar together.
7. Once cooked and cooled, slice the cake in half horizontally. Sandwich the two halves together with half the filling mix and a liberal sprinkling of malteasers.
8. Use the rest of the filling to ice the top and arrange the remaining malteasers decoratively on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails