Monday 11 January 2010

Braised celery recipe

In my search for ways to use up leftover celery (in this case I was using up leftover celery from making giblet stock.) I've finally tried braised celery and I can tell you I will be making it again.

It was like I got my weeks umami shot in one go. Absolutely delicious and moreish. Although I fear that it may be due to the flavour taken on by the celery, rather than the flavour of the celery itself. However, there's a portion in the freezer, ready for a suitable accompaniment. On to the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 head of celery, washed and chopped into 2-3" lengths
2oz butter
200ml duck stock
300ml Marigold vegetable bouillion
2 crushed garlic cloves
Bay leaf
2 thyme sprigs
Juice of half a lemon
Method:
1. Fry the celery, with the bay and thyme, gently in the butter for about 10minutes
2. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Simmer, covered, for about 30minutes or until the celery is very tender.
3. Remove the celery and increase the eat under the braising liquor. Reduce until it is of a syrup consistency.
4. Season the sauce and finish with a squeeze of lemon juice.
5. Serve the celery with the sauce spooned over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails