I've been wanting try red rice for ages and I finally managed to get my hands on some. It was a bit like wild rice; firm but a bit nutty in flavour. It went really well with red peppers and mackerel.
Red rice and roasted red pepper salad with mackerel (taken from Rice Ingram. C, 2001, Hermes House)
Ingredients (for 1):
2 mackerel, fillets
2oz Camargue red rice
Red pepper, de-seeded and sliced thinly
2-3 sun-dried tomatoes
1/2 onion, chopped
1-2 whole garlic cloves, unpeeled
1tbsp parsley, chopped
1tsp vinegar, red wine or balsamic (lemon juice would work too)
1. Cook the rice, following the instructions on the packet.
2. Fry the pepper slices in olive oil until softened, approx. 4 mins.
3. Add the tomatoes, whole garlic cloves and onion. Lower the heat, cover and cook for 8-10mins, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove the lid and fry for a further 3 mins.
5. Meanwhile fry the mackerel in olive oil, skin side down for 3-4mins, then turn and fry on the other side for 1 min. Remove form the pan and leave to rest.
6. Take the rice off the heat and add the parsley, vinegar and season to taste.
7. Peel the garlic and cut into thin slices.
8. To serve, spread the rice on a plate, put the peppers on top, scatter the garlic slices and top with the mackerel.