Saturday 8 September 2012

Fluffernutter

The subject of Marshmallow Fluff came up in conversation the other day.

This substance is, well, I struggle to describe it. Let me start with what it's made with: corn syrup, sugar, dried egg whites and "flavouring". Clearly a recipe for a taste sensation.

It's a white spread that is unlike anything else, except maybe wallpaper paste. It's like the cream inside a Twinkie. It does taste faintly of marshmallow but that's only after you get over the wave of uber-sweetness. You can feel the enamel being stripped from your teeth as soon as the stuff passes your lips.

Unsurprisingly it's an American "treat". I suspect it came about as excuse for using copious amounts of corn syrup (the stuff which is responsible for the sweetness of the American diet).

Anyway, you've got to try these things at least once. Apparently a Fluffernutter is an iconic snack in the old U.S. of A. Essentially it's a peanut butter and Fluff sandwich. What a balanced and nutritious treat, I hear you cry.

Clearly I had to make a Fluffernutter. Now this is where my lack of photography ability kicks in and I can only apologise. How on earth do you make a picture of a sandwich interesting?

The peanut butter is clearly the dominant flavour. The Fluff takes the sweetness to another level and also introduces a most unwelcome occasionally gritty texture. Another problem is that ration of bread to filling is all wrong and it's just really quite dry.

I think I can safely say that I won't be recommending a jar of Fluff as a store cupboard staple.

In fact, if you want the remains of my leftover jar, just let me know...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails