Tuesday 21 February 2012

Pancake DAY!

Today I was not at work, so took the opportunity to indulge my predilection for pancakes to the max.

I started with a breakfast of blueberry pancakes, bacon and maple syrup.

With the pearls of blue berries exploding in my mouth, whilst drowning in a sea of maple syrup, accompanied by the salty and savoury crunch of crisp bacon: the day was off to a GREAT start.

I had planned to have a galettes for lunch but apparently buckwheat flour is ridiculously difficult to come by. I'll have to save that for another day, whilst I track down the flour.

Dinner with Jess (a slightly more intimate affair shared with the Brit Awards than the pancake party I had planned) began with herb blinis and smoked salmon.

Now, I know I just said I couldn't get my hands on any buckwheat flour, so I know these weren't really blinis so, let's call them herb pancakes instead. Essentially they were my American pancakes with chives in the batter. These were topped with smoked salmon, a crème fraiche dressing (3tbsp crème fraiche, juice of half a lemon, 1tbsp capers and 1tbsp dill) and topped off with dainty dill fronds. A good starter.

Stuffed pancakes care of Monsieur Blanc followed. These were incredibly rich bur moreish: creamy and cheesy. The spinach and mushrooms were just enough to not make us feel too bad!

To finish we had stacks of proper English pancakes dredged with lemon juice and sugar. the recipe I use for pancakes is:

Ingredients:
100g plain flour
2 eggs
200ml milk
2oz butter, melted

Method:
1. Mix all the ingredients together into a batter and leave to rest (refrigerated) for a while. Briefly whisk again just before starting to cook.
2. Heat a crepe pan with a tiny slick of oil. Once warm, take off the heat and wipe away the excess oil with a paper towel.
3. Add a ladle of batter to the pan and quickly circulate to create a round pancake covering the bottom of the pan.
4. Fry gently until the sides just begin to curl. Toss and fry gently for a few moments.
5. Turn out onto a plate and dowse liberally with sugar and lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails