Wednesday 14 September 2011

Singapore slung (bet nobody's ever made that gag before)

It was my last day in Singapore today, so I felt obliged to go to Raffles for a Singapore Sling.

Now I'm not a massive booze-head (although I am partial to a fruity cocktail, Baileys, Southern Comfort or a good scrumpy. (I realised half-way through that sentence that it wasn't the butchest things I'd ever written so had to make amends with the addition of scrumpy (which I really do enjoy))) and didn't quite know what to expect.

What I received in exchange for my ~$35 was an incredibly pink long glass of cherry citrus booze. It was quite moreish and unlike anything I've had before. Very refreshing too (or maybe that's was just the effect of being out of the oppressive humidity). Although I'm not sure it was worth £17. Mind you the place was packed with table upon table supping up the pink nectar. "Tourist trap", you say?

I was surprised to see that the cocktail was made en mass in a blender using bottled juices. It seemed that the colonial glamour had been swapped for speed and efficiency: money making over elegance. Is this simply the modern Asian way?

I was also surprised that it was a tad crunch underfoot due to the extraordinary number of discarded monkey nut shells.

I was even more surprised when a I spotted pigeons in the bar helping to clear up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails